After continued cyberattacks and data breaches, the federal government is getting serious about protecting its sensitive information. Research institutions are on the front lines of this fight. The Defense Department has already imposed requirements to protect "unclassified controlled technical information." The National Archives and Records Administration, the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the National Institutes of Health, the Food and Drug Administration and many other agencies are issuing “guidance,” directives, “best practices” manuals and other governing documents that research institutions are expected to digest and implement immediately.
During the webinar, the presenter will review the new cyber protection requirements in many contract solicitations and assistance announcements. Additionally, the presenter will discuss the dangers the research community is faced with from not using the “best” in cybersecurity in the products it is developing and using in the research itself. For instance, recently a cybersecurity firm issued a report widely cited in the media detailing cases where unnamed hospitals were allegedly hit by data breaches after medical devices became infected with malware or backdoors that allowed hackers to move within the health care network. The webinar will cover the issues that research institutions must address in the compliance driven world of the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) and its commercial equivalents. It will also address both the requirements for compliance and the real cyber security concerns of the research organizations and researchers themselves.
The webinar will focus particularly on:
- Security - The requirements to maintain the security and integrity of data existing in a cloud environment;
- Privacy - How to adequately identify potential privacy risks and responsibilities and address these needs in research activities.
- Identify Security issues in cloud computing and using the "cloud" in research activities.
- Comply with Federal directives and guidance in computer and "cloud" security.
- Effectively implement cloud computing and storage security in research related activities.
Membership Discount not available to Affiliate Members